Allison Transmission Filter Change B400R & B500R
⇒Type: Allison Transmission
⇒Models: B400R & B500R
⇒Versions: WTEC III, Gen 4 and Gen 5
⇒Service Intervals: Service intervals vary depending on vehicle application. Refer to preventative maintenance (PM) intervals or service manual.
⇒Filter cover bolts/nuts torque: 38-45 lb. ft. (51-61 N-m)
⇒Drain plug torque 18-24 lb. ft. (25-32 N-m)
⇒B400R Oil service fill approximately 16 quarts (15 Liters)
⇒B500R Oil service fill approximately 30 quarts (28 Liters)
Oil filters can be replaced without having to drain transmission sump oil.
⇒Vehicle should be on level ground and wheels chocked.
⇒Wear personal protective equipment.
⇒Use caution when working with hot transmission fluid.
Allison High Capacity Filter Kit, Twin Filter Kit, Part #29548987
This kit contains all the O-rings, gaskets and filters for a complete service. There are extra O-rings included for different style applications.
Allison B400R & B500R with versions of WTEC III, Gen 4, and Gen 5 transmissions with 2″ sumps, use the same service filters. These filters are for “Main” and “Lube” and can be removed and replaced without removing the valve body.
Note: Allison filters installed at the factory are marked “Factory Installed” for warranty purposes.
Procedure: Note – B400R shown, same procedure for B500R.
1. Remove oil drain plug (Oil filters can be replaced without having to drain transmission sump oil).
2. Remove hex nuts to remove “Main” and “Lube” filter covers.
3. Remove filter covers.
4. Remove old gaskets.
4. Clean any old gasket materials from valve body and filter covers. Remove old O-rings from filter covers.
1. Install new O-rings on filter covers. (Use the correct O-rings by matching them to the old O-rings.)
Note: Using the incorrect O-rings may cause damage to filter covers.
2. Install filters to filter covers.
3. Install gaskets to valve body.
4. Install filter cover assemblies into valve body.
5. Install the twelve nuts securing filter covers to valve body.
Note: Do not use nuts to draw in filter covers, damage can result to filter covers.
6. Torque nuts evenly to:
Filter covers 38-45 lb. ft. (51-61 N-m)
Drain plug to 18-24 lb. ft. (25-32 N-m)
7. Add fluid to transmission, start vehicle and check for leaks. Once vehicle is at operating temperature use shifter or Allison DOC to check for proper level. For information on transmission shifter functions. Go to;
Allison Transmission Shifter Functions and Prognostics